Book your spot now and don’t miss out on this exciting MTB ride. At just over 100 miles, the slightly shorter endurance route still offers an adventure with a fair amount of climbing and a wonderful scenic ride of Pretoria East. This is a day out not to be missed!
On Sunday 25 April registration and collections will be open from 12H00-14H00. All apparel that has been ordered will be available at collections. Don’t worry if you can’t make it on Sunday 25th, your kit will be waiting for you at the registration on Tuesday 27th when you arrive for the ride.
A table with your goodie bag is available at the registration desk. Don’t forget to register and check in to ensure you get your goodie bag.
Small Bag Drop:
Pack your small bag the day before so you can drop your small bag in the designated support vehicle, without any delay. The small bag must be packed with any spares, nutrition, chargers, etc. that you may need throughout the day. Your small bags will be available at the brunch stop.
Your armband must remain on at all times as it is used to redeem meals and your bags.
Groups starting earlier will require front and rear lights, riding in the dark.
Safety is one of our biggest concerns when we think cycling, both for road and mtb cycling.
In addition to the support vehicles, all three groups will have dedicated Think Bike Marshals to assist with traffic control and making the conditions safer.
𝘞𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘯’𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘨𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦 𝟷𝟶𝟶% 𝘴𝘢𝘧𝘦𝘵𝘺 𝘪𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘳𝘪𝘥𝘦, 𝘸𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘥𝘰 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘣𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘴 𝘴𝘢𝘧𝘦 𝘢𝘴 𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦.
Our aim is to make this ride safe, enjoyable and to give you the opportunity to ride your bike for the day with the best support possible.
With the Think Bike Marshals we are confident we can achieve this.
VW Arcadia not only have the best new and used cars, but also have a wonderful passion for all things cycling.
We are very fortunate to have them on board, supplying our operations team with the very best, reliable and comfortable VW vehicles.
𝘚𝘪𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘵 𝟺𝟽𝟶 𝘚𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘻𝘢 𝘉𝘰𝘱𝘢𝘱𝘦 𝘚𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘵, 𝘈𝘳𝘤𝘢𝘥𝘪𝘢, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘱𝘩𝘦𝘯𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘤𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘷𝘦𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘭𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘺𝘰𝘶!
For any queries contact Gavin van den Berg – 012 309 1767
* A gpx file will be shared with all entrants closer to the date of the outride.
* You MUST load the file onto your gps, as the route is not marked and we do not want you getting lost.
* At a distance of 161km, the ride leaves Monte De Dios in Olympus Heights, Pretoria East and is an out and back route, looping around the greater Pretoria East area.
The route will present some tests for the legs with 1700m ascent, but nothing too serious! More info of the route will be shared after a final route recon.
We will have three groups available for you to join, according to your riding strength. Check the average speeds of each group and the correlating start time for each group. Ensure you are comfortable with the average speed as your moving speed throughout the ride. This speed does not include stops, which we have accounted for separately.
Group 1 | 18-21km/hr
Group 2 | 21-24km/hr
Group 3 | 25+km/hr
Group 1 | 06H00
Group 2 | 06H30
Group 3 | 07H00
* This is not a race!
* We do not realistically envision everyone to stay together along the route.
* We do encourage you to ride together in a group, but some may want to ride ahead, or ride slightly slower.
* Always be aware of your average speed and don’t drop off pace too much.
* Ride smart.
* Regardless of your pace, your bag will be available for you at the lunch stop. Read the below Water Point info for more on times and locations.
* Regardless of your pace, brunch will be served at specific times. Read the below Brunch info for these timings.
* There is a minimum speed enforced and cut off at the brunch stop. If you do not make it in the cut-off time, you will be asked to load you into the support vehicle and you will be taken to the finish in the vehicle.
Your small bag will be transported to the brunch stop for you to access. This must be packed with power banks, nutrition, bottles, gillet, etc. – anything you may need during the ride.
Water & Check Points
Cold Water and 32gi will be available at all water points:
You MUST stop and confirm your number at every water point and the lunch stop.
Water Points & Brunch Distance:
* 30km – Water Point 1
* 60km – Water Point 2
* 85km – Brunch
* 110km – Water Point 3
* 135km – Water Point 4
* 85km – Brunch | TBC
* 110km – WP3 | TBC
* 135km – WP4 | TBC
* At the halfway mark, you have a great brunch stop to look forward to. Food & beverages will be served during the brunch stop.
* Charge your gps units at the Rapid Charge Solutions mobile charging station.
* Brunch will be served from (time tbc) for the various paced groups coming through.
* If you arrive close to the cutoff mark, you’re cutting it very fine and you may be asked to get into the support vehicle.
* The proposed cut-off time for riders at the brunch-stop is (time tbc). This is the time that all riders need to have departed from the brunch stop, to ride to water point 3.
Vehicle Support & Spares
* Every vehicle will have a first aid kit.
* Your small bag will be stored safely inside the support vehicle.
* All vehicles will have a bottle of Squirt Lube (free of charge), as well as spares should you run out of your own.
* PLEASE NOTE: Spares are not complimentary and will be charged to your account for payment after the ride.
* Cooler Boxes with ice will be kept in the support vehicle to keep your bottles cold. Should you use the cooler box, ensure your bottles are easily identifiable, should they get mixed up with others.
Monte De Dios is a venue that caters for all your needs, and we couldn’t be have a better start and finish venue for this Pretoria East MTB Ride. While you’re riding, your wife and kids can enjoy the kids play area, restaurant and wonderful views from around the property. It really is a peaceful place to relax and unwind. We look forward to the festivities on the day and enjoying all that Monte De Dios has to offer!
* All riders will have the opportunity to buy Drake Events SOX. (R100 per pair)
* All riders will have an opportunity to buy an official Drake Events jersey, provided by Van H. (R1350 per jersey)
* Don’t forget to include your order on the registration form.
NL Photography will snap those special moments from your day out in the saddle. Don’t stop smiling, you never know when you might get your photo snapped.
While you are relaxing after your ride, we will give your bike a basic clean and wash with Squirt Bike Cleaner. 𝐒𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐫𝐭 𝐁𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐂𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐞𝐫 is a concentrated and biodegradable bicycle cleaner. The concentrate can be diluted 1:25 and still produce a heavy-duty cleaning solution. It is water based and does not contain any organic solvents
We’re very excited to have aQuellé as our official water partner. On the long day out in the saddle, there’s not much more satisfying than ice cold aQuellé water. All the way from natural springs in KwaZulu-Natal to quenching your thirst on the outride, we thank aQuellé for their awesome contribution!